Friday, April 23, 2010

Questions from Glycogen Loading Presentation

Just wanted to take a minute to answer a few questions that were asked after my presentation.

1. How do we know how many carbs to take in? Does it vary from person to person?

-Yes, it does vary from person to person. They say that 55-60% of our caloric intake should be carbohydrates. This obviously is going to differ in the actual amount of carbs from person to person. Someone who consumes 3000 calories a day should have 1650-1800 of those calories come from carbohydrates, where someone who only consumed 1500 calories a day should only have 825-900 of those calories come from carbohydrates.

2. Do you think carb loading is worth it?

-Personally, I do not think that it works well enough to do. I also am not a person who runs marathons or anything like that. I was a cheerleader in high school and it was a tradition that we had a pasta party the Friday before our Sunday competition. While this is now just tradition, it sort of started off as a way to obtain more "energy" from the carbs in pasta. I think that even if I was training for the marathon, I still would not try carb loading. I do not think that it has a significant enough impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment